What Education Is

Just back from the Louisiana Chesterton Conference.  There is no way to describe it.  I will quote from an email I sent to a friend ...
Then came dinner after the conference ended, and I found myself at a table seated beside Dale Ahlquist and several fans - hardcore fans - "groupies" if there ever was such a thing.  The couple sitting beside me have been to every Louisiana Chesterton Conference for the last three years, and the guy across from me has seen every single thing I've ever done on EWTN.  And he kept talking about what this conference meant to him.  "There's nothing like this in my life," he said.  "This day was incredible.  To be around devout Catholics who love each other and who love God and Chesterton - who are so knowledgeable about their faith, who are giving their talents to reforming the culture - and to be able to talk to other people who are hungry for this like the people at this conference ... you have no idea what this means to me.  I can't get this anywhere else."  It's certainly not at his parish.

And this is exactly why I love the Chesterton conferences.  And why I love EWTN.  It's what the Church actually is.  
After dinner, Dale, Chuck Chalberg, Karen Hornsby and I went to the statue of Chesterton to pray.   "The only place in the world that has a life-size statue of GK Chesterton is ... Ponchatoula, Louisiana!  Of course!" Dale always says.  We thanked God for Chesterton.  We prayed for many things.  We thanked God for one another.  
... somehow I must write about this for my website.  But I don't really know how.
I will say this much.  Education seems simply to be pointing toward God and getting other people to look.

The Round Table Q&A at the Louisiana Chesterton Conference.  I am taking the picture seated beside (left to right) Chuck Chalberg, Carl Hassler, Brian Daigle, Joseph Pearce and Dale Ahlquist.  Also featured on the table: Chuck Chalberg's wig.
Joseph Pearce and a small plate at Friday night's crawfish boil.

Dale Ahlquist (left) struggles to take a selfie of Chuck Chalberg as GK Chesterton and yours truly in front of the only life size statue of GK Chesterton on the planet earth.  Chesterton, of course, was never life size.  He was always larger than life.